I bought a Viewsonic PocketPC mid to late last year and forgot to post anything about it.
I bought a Viewsonic V37 for $100 used on ars technica classifieds. It has the following for specifications:
- Intel XScale™ 400MHz processor
- Microsoft® Pocket PC 2003 Premium Edition*
- Includes 64MB ROM and 64MB SDRAM (36.45MB user accessible)
- Light: 4 ounces
- Long life lithium battery lasts up to 8 hours**
- SD/MMC Expansion slot
* It came with PocketPC 2002. Apparently Viewsonic had the update but was neither giving it out nor selling it anymore. I was able to locate it and have it archived. If anyone also needs it, comment on this post and leave your e-mail and I can get it to you.
** This has not been what I have experienced.
The pocketpc has been nearly flawless for me. It is the same speed and about half the weight and size of my previous PocketPC: Dell Axim X5. There are a couple of pros and cons of this PocketPC compared to some others I’ve had:
+ Small, light, sleek design.
+ Bright, crisp screen.
+ Fast, still one of the fastest on the market.
+ SD expansion slot is great for storage.
– Short battery life, especially for games.
– Very poor dial. Sticks, and plain doesn’t work sometimes.
– Some game incompatibility*.
– Synching issues**.
– Lack of general support***.
* I have tested MANY games on this PocketPC. Of all that I have tested, only about 3 have not worked. The main game that I am upset about is Worms World Party by JAMDAT. It simply does not open.
** Every once in awhile, the only computer I have my V37 linked up to will report the device as an unknown device. To fix, any of the following have worked for me in the past:
- Plugging into a different USB port
- Reseating the V37 in the synch cradle
*** This PocketPC is nowhere near as popular as Dell or HP PocketPCs, and I have found very little support overall for this brand. Viewsonic only made 2-3 PocketPC models; the V35-V37, all of which are out of production. Don’t even think about contacting Viewsonic for support, these are all out of warranty.
Overall, I would rate this PocketPC an 9/10. It is my 5th PocketPC, and it is by far the best.
Someone’s been looking for the v35 and v37 ROM upgrades, so I posted it for download with tracking:
Wordpress 2.7 broke my download script, so here’s the direct link.